Clip on YouTube titled ‘Jockey gamblers fixing a race’
The British jockey that was at the centre of a major scandal in India last year is again in the headlines after an alleged telephone conversation between him and another jockey appeared on YouTube.
Martin Dwyer was given an eight month ban by Royal Western India Turf Club (RWITC) stewards when finishing a close third on fancied runner Ice Age at Mumbai’s Mahalaxmi racecourse in February last year.
Click here to read ‘Irate Indian punters try to lynch beaten UK jockey’.
Click here to read ‘British jockey appeals eight-month ban in India’.
Click here to read ‘British authorities dismiss jockey’s Indian ban’.
Dwyer has again under the spotlight after an alleged telephone conversation between himself and fellow jockey Paul Mulrennan was published on YouTube on June 21.
The conversation centres around the 2010 Eclipse Stakes of India. The audio is an individual, allegedly Dwyer, telling Mulrennan that the horse he is riding cannot win the race and he will be backing the eventual winner Icebreaker.
Click here to hear the audio file (some language is offensive), uploaded by an unknown individual going under the title of ‘Tracksuit Dave’, on YouTube.
The recording was sent to RWITC stewards, the riders, the British Horse Racing Authority (BHA) and Professional Jockeys Association (PJA) last year.
The RWITC recently informed the BHA and the jockeys that no disciplinary action would be taken.
“We are aware of the audio recording and the fact it has now been posted publicly does not alter our approach to this matter,” The BHA’s media manager Robin Mounsey told the Racing Post.
“In the first instance the matter was the subject of an investigation by RWITC. That process was recently concluded.”
“It is BHA policy never to comment on our own investigations or speculation surrounding possible investigations.”
The PJA issued a statement saying both Dwyer and Mulrennan we’re “happy to co-operate with the RWITC but had a number of questions before they were willing to fly to India to be interviewed”.
“The RWITC have informed the jockeys they will not be able to ride there this winter until they travel to India to be interviewed,” the statement said.